fedora-pkgdb: make it discoverable on browser home page?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:11:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Matthias Clasen<mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Using those criteria, 10 slots are quickly filled:

I think this underscores the problem with this approach.  It's quite
arbitrary.  It's more about about PR than about discoverability or
relevance to any particular user or usage case.

"Hey drive-by end users with minimal to no knowledge of linux! Look we
have big name open source applications in our repository that you can
also install on Windows! We are relevant! We are relevant!"

"Hey developers! Hey look here are a few developer focused
applications we want to pimp because we are heavily involved in the
upstream project!"

"Hey look everyone! A game! We have games!"

If its meant to be a teaser...lets make sure we are upfront about that
and lets avoid any sort of language which would imply a ranking.
There's no "top 10"-ness to the list you propose. Its a feature
bulletpoint list like you see in a sales pitch slidedeck.

I have no problem with a hand built ten item list. Let's just be
upfront about what the list represents. Such a list is a best a
teaser...deliberately designed to draw casual website travellers in
and explore the repository offerings on your own.

-jef"Can we turn the repository into a web based game?  Sort of like
'new adventure shell' did for the shell interface? Can we have
adventure repository?"spaleta