gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 07:52:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 19:54:19 Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> 25.08.2009 02:07, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
> >> another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
> >> install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
> >> are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
> >> kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
> >> et all are often used outside KDE.
> >
> > It's not like those dependencies bite. ;-) HDD space is cheap.
>
> This is incorrect question setup. HDD space not always cheap. This may
> be very expensive, f.e. on embedded systems, on USB-stick, Live-CD
> images... Additionally it additional bandwidth on updates, which cost
> often is more significant. But at end, main point for me what it is
> "incorrect". This is very monolithic, small user chose to manipulation,
> big and, as showed before, often produce additional errors (dependency
> and others).
>
> So, I do not call fanatic split all what we can find, but if we can
> reasonably (ok, I do not want question and define it as at least
> anything see in that sense) provide program separately - why you argue
> with that?

Hi Pavel,
as Kevin has already pointed out - we already did some splits, we discuss it
on our meeting, counting pros and cons. If you find something to be split, feel
free to report the bug, join our meeting, defend it. With good arguments we
can do it. But sometimes even one good reason is not enough to do it and there
could be another reason why we shouldn't do it.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275