PolicyKit 0.9 is going away

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 14:53:47 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 16:23:07 David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 12:45 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > I'd be willing to maintain PolicyKit 0.9 packages (as compatibility
> > > packages (though renaming should not be needed as they already have
> > > distinct names), to be used by KDE) for F12. It is my understanding
> > > that those will not conflict with PolicyKit 1 and can coexist just
> > > fine, if that's not the case, please correct me. So please don't
> > > obsolete PolicyKit 0.9!
>
> We announced that this would happen long ago. And, FWIW, it was approved
> long ago by FESCO too. And you've been aware of this long ago as well.
> So, sorry, but we will obsolete the old packages and I'm afraid you will
> need to deal with it. Just like everyone else.

As I said - patches are mostly ready, only polishing is needed. What I don't
like is that it is our fork of polkit-qt. I think we should discuss it at KDE
SIG meeting, how to do it carefully. You can join us.

It's Freedesktop.org hosted, so it should match releases of major desktop
environments, not one distribution. Upstream is not using Fedora, they can't
get it running (I'm not blaming anyone), so it looks I'm now upstream ;-) I
know why are you pushing on this and I don't have objections.

For Authentication Agent we'd like to use Gnome as I'm fighting with it.
BeginAuthentication method should be OK, but daemon does not accept it's
signature... Could I ping you sometime next week? I'm leaving soon today...

Thanks
Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>