PolicyKit 0.9 is going away

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Aug 28 21:53:42 UTC 2009

David Zeuthen wrote:
> We announced that this would happen long ago. And, FWIW, it was approved
> long ago by FESCO too.

You (well, whoever from your team was there to talk about the feature)
promised to FESCo that PolicyKit 0.9 and 1.0 can coexist and that 0.9 can
stay around if somebody signs up to maintain the compat package. I can dig
up the log if you don't believe me.

> So, sorry, but we will obsolete the old packages

Obsoleting packages which somebody still wants to maintain is extremely bad
form. Especially if it's a library which is needed by other packages.

> Indeed. And in this transition period where we've been shipping both set
> of packages, there has been a lot of confusion. I've witnessed that
> myself. We just don't want that to happen in a released OS.

The compat lib would only ship on the KDE spin.

        Kevin Kofler