Fedora on NSLU2/Synology/etc.

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sun Aug 30 16:21:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:14:03 +0400, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.smolts.org/client/show_all/pub_597e2d6d-7d94-4299-a9ae-e7c3a7e35b31

Well, that's encouraging.

The big question for me is, is there a sign that a system architecture
emerges for ARM, or at least a sufficiently popular basic design
that has a future?

If we look at Synology, for instance, their DS109j is the 6th revision
or so, and it's on the cusp of being replaced again, that's why the
price dipped:
 http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Disk-Station-DS109j-Effective/dp/B0023P5QWW/

Chasing the kaleidoscopic change of platforms is a non-starter for me
as a software developer. I want to buy the box, jumpstart it, and it
should get into the cloud right away, with my software pulled from
the repo and running on it.

Currently I use these:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032
With cheap RAM and disk it goes firmly below $200. If ARM box that
I have to nurse into working costs that much, it's not interesting.
But I'm willing to investigate, that's what my question was about.

-- Pete