maven2 broken deps? (Re: rawhide report: 20090830 changes)

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 31 09:16:49 UTC 2009

>> [...]
>>
>> A whole slew of broken deps caused by a new maven2 have been sitting
>> in rawhide for about the last week with no attempted rebuilds to fix
>> it.  Anybody know what's going on?

AK> We are working on update of maven2 to not so ancient version. Progress can be
AK> tracked at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MavenUpdate . Currently we are just 2
AK> guys working on this so any help is welcome. Anybody can pick whatever task
AK> he/she wants and help us getting it done.
AK> P.S. Broken deps will be fixed when we manage to update maven-shared.

Since this requires an interconnected set of dependencies, it should
probably have been done by requesting a special build tag from
rel-eng, like dist-f12-maven2.

Then all rebuilds could be done against the new tag and once all was
working correctly, then you would request a retagging back into the
regular dist-f12 in one hit.  That way you get all the packages
updated to the new maven2 in one hit and it can be rolled back easily
if the entire maven doesn't make the release date.    This is how
major updates to Python and Perl are done.

The way it's currently done means that because you don't know how long
it will take to update all the relevant packages, the brokeness might
be around until F-12 and makes it harder to roll back to a last known
good version.

Alex