how to determain those no longer required packages

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Aug 31 20:37:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:42:12AM -0400, James Antill wrote:

> > AT> I don't think apt traces whether a packages was a pulled in manually
> > AT> or automatically, does it?
> >
> > yum does keep track of many things in the yumdb and I think the "reason"
> > key is supposed to track this, but for me it seems reason is always
> > "user".  I think the intent is to track packages which were installed
> > because the user requested them directly separately from packages which
> > were pulled in purely because of dependencies.
>
>  Yes, the reason attribute in yumdb is there primarily to start on
> "solving" this "problem".

This sounds like a nice addition to yum, I hadn't heard yet of the
yumdb!

Will other frontends like PackageKit also pass down this information
to yum (e.g. which packages are user chosen, which are automatically
pulled in), so the yumdb info is universal?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net