F12: NetworkManager-Firefox: Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Dec 1 10:24:33 UTC 2009

On 12/01/2009 07:50 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 19:52 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:

>>> My mistake.  I guess it was Rakesh Pandit who was using a CDMA 3G
>>> connection.

>>> No particular reason, in fact that looks like a bug.  NM no longer
>>> depends on HAL, but that dependency is still in the initscript, which
>>> looks like it pushes NM later than netfs.
>>>
>>> But in reality, you're looking for a dependency based initsystem which
>>> we don't quite yet have.  There are already scripts that kick netfs to
>>> mount stuff when NM brings the network up
>>> (/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/05-netfs), so you get asynchronous
>>> bootup *and* your mounts.  The rest of the system, if it requires
>>> something from the mounted directories, needs to be smart enough to know
>>> that.
>>>
>>> If you need to, you can set NETWORKWAIT=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network,
>>> which causes the NetworkManager initscript to block until a network
>>> connection is brought up, or 30 seconds have passed.

>>> See the other mail; the problem with a generic isUp() is that it simply
>>> says hey, is there a connection?  It doesn't provide enough information
>>> about the networking state of the system for anything to make an
>>> intelligent decision about anything.  It's a "hey I'm connected to
>>> something" but there's no information about *what* you're connected to;
>>> whether it's a secure home network, whether it's a slow 3G network,
>>> whether it's billed by the  minute or the hour or unlimited, etc.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>
>> Hi, Thanks for the info.
>> I would have thought that a generic isUp() is good enough for the likes
>> of Firefox and Pidgen though to decide if to start offline. Being connected to a
>> Network is probably all you need, you may be accessing an Intranet as all
>> my systems Firefox home pages do ...
>>
>> Anyway, following your email (And notes in Bugzilla) I thought I'd try and
>> use NM properly for my config. However I have a problem, which may be
>> a bug. I have turned off the Network services and turned on NetworkManger.
>> I have two main network interfaces eth0 (wired) and eth1 (Wifi), both are
>> set to be managed by NM and to start at boot. I have also added
>> NETWORKWAIT=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network.
>>
>> When I boot with this the network (eth1 (eth0 is disconnected)) does not
>> come up at boot. There is a message stating a failure on the line
>> where it is waiting for the network to come up. When I log in as a
>> local user the network then comes up ...
>>
>> I also note that, before the user is logged in, I cannot start the network
>> with "service network start" and the WiFi light is off. It looks like
>> NM has done something like powered down my WiFi chip ?
>> (Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG IBM Thinkpad R52)
>>
>> Another thing, I would need NETWORKWAIT=yes as I have ypbind enabled.
>> Maybe ypbind should be modified to not start when the network is down and
>> also added to /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d ?

> [...]
Hi Dan,

As far as I am aware my connections are "system" connections. I have configured
the Network interfaces using the system-config-network tool. When I use the
"network" service the eth1 wireless network comes up fine at boot. When I use
NetworkManager the eth1 wireless network does not come up at boot. There is the
error: "Waiting for network...  [FAILED]"
If the NetworkManger service is running (eth1 has not come up) and I run
"service network start" the eth1 interface still does not come up. If
I stop the NetworkManger service and again run "service network start" then
the eth1 interface comes up ...

The configuration files are:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files are there:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Vodaphone

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 is:
# Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=00:16:6F:8A:E1:95
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Wireless
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
MODE=Auto
RATE=auto
ESSID=beamwifi
CHANNEL=

Section of /var/log/messages attached.
Output of nm-tool attached.

nm-tool also outputs the error on stderr:
** (process:1492): WARNING **: error: failed to read connections from
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings:
     The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings was not provided by any
.service files

Cheers

Terry