Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Dec 2 15:23:23 UTC 2009

On 12/02/2009 10:30 AM, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> Matthew Booth wrote:
>> The separate updates directory has been a pain for as long as I've
>> been using RHL/Fedora Core/Fedora. It means you have two places to
>> look when searching for packages manually, and twice as much to
>> configure when you're configuring yum. It has never benefitted me, or
>> anybody I know, but it has caught me out on any number of occasions.
>> What's more, nobody really seems to know why it's like that: it seems
>> it's always been that way, and nobody ever bother to fix it.
>>
>> So lets fix it. The package set at release time is only interesting to
>> historians. If any of them are really that bothered, I'm sure somebody
>> can come up with a yum module which finds the oldest available version
>> of a package in a repo.
>>
>> Matt
> Would not this also provide the minor added benefit that there could now
> be a drpm for the first update for a package?

I like the proposal, the only drawback I found is that when a new Fedora
release is out we mirror (local) the updates repository with priority,
and the big Everything repository is mirrored using a small bandwidth
setting because it is not needed normally for the first updates (updates
that add new dependecies are not common the first weeks)