Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Justin M. Forbes jmforbes at linuxtx.org
Wed Dec 2 16:01:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:39:30PM +0000, Matthew Booth wrote:
> The separate updates directory has been a pain for as long as I've been
> using RHL/Fedora Core/Fedora. It means you have two places to look when
> searching for packages manually, and twice as much to configure when you're
> configuring yum. It has never benefitted me, or anybody I know, but it has
> caught me out on any number of occasions. What's more, nobody really seems
> to know why it's like that: it seems it's always been that way, and nobody
> ever bother to fix it.

The only downside to merging updates into the main repository is that
network installs from the repository will no longer install the "release"
they will install the updated release.  QA that goes into that first
impression is no longer there, and your installs are not repeatable because
installing system A on one day and system B on another could end up with
different versions of packages.  Of course you can always install from the
ISOs to avoid these problems. As things are, you have the choice of the
"release" as it was, or the updated release at install time.  I am not
saying that this is a bad idea, in fact I rather like it, but there are
things to consider.

Justin