Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 18:08:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 17:58 +0000, Matthew Booth wrote:
> The GA package could be kept around as a separate, static repo nobody
> uses under normal circumstances. Combining GA+updates into a single repo
> would not consume additional bandwidth for anybody at all, and only
> testers would have to do any additional configuration.

After initial install, a GA+updates repo would cause consumption of more
bandwidth, as the repodata would change on a nearly daily basis causing
rather large repodata files to be downloaded over and over and over
again.  Instead what we have now is a static GA repo that is downloaded
usually once, and a much much much smaller updates repo that is
downloaded more frequently, but since it is much smaller the impact is
much lower.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!