Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 22:46:49 UTC 2009

(on my on tangent...)

On 12/02/2009 12:48 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I hypothesize that we could place all rpms for a given release
> in a single directory (seth will hate this as he wants to split them up
> based on first letter of their name for better filesystem performance),

Ugh, first letter isn't really a great plan anyway. First (few) letters
of a hash of the filename is much better, but obviously hurts browsability.
Next best is probably something like how a dead-tree dictionary index works;
list everything, split the list up by starting letters evenly, so the
directories (given a really unlikely hypothetical package set) are

0/	# contains packages named 0 through 3*
4/	# 4 through 9*
a/	# a through ay*
az/	# az through bw*
bx/	# bx through cz*
da/	# da through whatever's next

so that every directory has about the same number of things.

--
        Peter

I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is.
		-- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949;
			quoted by Eshbach in _Over My Shoulder_.