Deprecation of LAM/MPI?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 8 19:09:12 UTC 2009

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> I really would like everything to confer to the MPI guidelines in Fedora
> 13, but the problem is that so far no-one has volunteered to rework the
> LAM/MPI package to conform to the new guidelines [1]. IMHO LAM/MPI could
> be safely pulled out from Fedora 13, since it was obsoleted by Open MPI
> 3 years ago.

I see no reason to continue shipping an obsolete MPI implementation, so yes,
LAM should be blocked now. (But it should be done now, not at the very end
of the final freeze, so there's time to fix packages to drop their -lam
subpackages, and create -openmpi ones where they aren't already there. The
timing for F12 was really poor, which was why it got unblocked there.)

        Kevin Kofler