Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 9 05:35:04 UTC 2009

On 12/08/2009 09:26 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> * More packages (rpms) to cope with.
>>
>> Only if you pollute your system with 32-bit multilibs. A pure x86_64 system
>> doesn't have any more packages than a 32-bit one.
>
> Fedora x86_64 repos do however carry ix86 packages around which shows in
> metadata sizes and I guess to some extent in performance of some yum
> operations.

and in ...
...  bandwidth demands ...
...  package dep conflicts resolution ...

... maintenance efforts (At the very point you have one true 32bit-only
capable machine around, installing x86_64 on a single machine means
duplicating the maintenance effort).

> These probably aren't things to be generally overly concerned
> about though,
... try a yum update over GSM or over a modem and you'll very soon
experience what I am talking about.

> and maybe not even what Ralf meant (he specifically mentioned
> rpms).
I was indirectly referring to this (c.f. another thread on this list
earlier this week).

Ralf