Why pavucontrol is not installed by default?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 07:44:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Jon Masters wrote:

> The new gnome-volume-control is so cut-down it's not useful to me. In
> the quest to be more Mac-like in removing mixer controls (and not even
> having any obvious "advanced" mode), I now have a choice of no audio or
> having full volume LFE output *and* whatever mixer level I have set for
> the master output. alsamixer works fine, but then I can't use the volume
> sliders on my desktop and it gets rather awkward.

Sadly, they consider this bug as an enhancement. I have had friends
who had the same hardware with me but they were using another OS. I
remember them being jealous because I had so much more control over
same sound card. It made me proud at the time. I fear that this
disease of oversimplifying will make us forget why we are using Linux.

Try kmix, it always works. You can probably put in on Gnome panel too.

Orcan