abrt issue

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:56:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 07:47:44 -0500, Neal wrote:

> I just got a crash in kde plasma.  Traceback is not useful, because of
> missing debug pacakges.

Seems to happen more frequently recently. The latest backtraces
I've seen in bugzilla all were missing dozens of debuginfo packages.

> I'm told I can reload after 'installing the needed packages', but
> there is no clue what packages are needed.

ABRT once told me to use debuginfo-install, but it doesn't [or can't] get
that hint right if an app uses plugins/modules from separate packages.

> A bit of a mystery.  It seems sometimes abrt will go ahead and download
> needed debuginfo packages, but other times (like today), it doesn't, and
> doesn't offer any clue what packages are missing.
>
> Either way, still not very user friendly.

It would be an improvement if it worked. With dozens of missing debuginfo
packages and missing "steps on how to reproduce a problem" the filed
tickets are close to useless.