Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 9 15:14:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 15:26 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> However, some $DEITY's have decided otherwise ...
>
> I am inclined to think "inevitably, because such platforms aren't the
> platforms most developers use nor the platforms "RHEL is aiming at" ...
> These people think in terms of "Quad machines" and "RH clients", but
> forget about the amount of "old" machines which are still actively being
> used and about "use-case niches".

 A+ for, eventually, coming to the obvious solution. Although,
personally, I haven't had a quad core yet all the computers I currently
have running are either laptops or dual cores. The minimum RAM size on
any of these 5 boxes is 2GB.

 I'd be surprised to find that anyone working as a full time developer
has any (non-virt) boxes that are spec'd less than that.
 And yes, shockingly, developers will test on the machines they have
easy access to.

 So, yeh, if _you_ want to support slower machines ... _you_ will have
to do the work, you might get help from the community but just ranting
on f-d-l "Everyone should solve my problems" is unlikely to actually
help. IMO.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.25