X on UEFI systems.

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 14:44:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 17:14 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 08:57 +0100, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> >> File a bug please, attaching your xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log and output of
> >> the dmesg command (all from inside of VB virtual machine, of course).
> >
> > ...aaaand (oh boy, I love it when a plan comes together) mark it as
> > blocking F13Beta , because I reckon this breaks beta criterion #4:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Beta_Release_Criteria
>
> I like the sentiment here, but I'm not sure this is really in the
> spirit of the criteria - Vasily, as I understand it, is still in the
> process of implementing the support for UEFI on VirtualBox.

There's at least two issues here.

One is that we're not shipping the native X driver for vbox video yet.
Last I checked this was because it's hidden away in the vbox source, and
didn't build against whatever X server we were shipping, and that vbox
upstream didn't _want_ it shipped externally yet because they hadn't
finalized the interface.

The other is that the kernel doesn't seem to be binding an efifb device
to it, and/or that it is and X is not noticing that and thus loads vesa
instead of fbdev.

- ajax