MariaDB and Fedora

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 14 18:34:08 UTC 2009

Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 17:03 +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ a écrit :
> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 19:27 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > (FWIW, I completely agree with Monty that Oracle is likely to do
> their
> > best to kill MySQL once they have it.  But they can't kill the GPL'd
> > version as long as people are willing to work on that.  Evidently
> > Monty isn't.)
>
> http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Oracle-Corporation-NASDAQ-ORCL
> -1090000.html
>
> "Oracle Makes Commitments to Customers, Developers and Users of MySQL"

Oracle commitments are only worth the money Oracle expects earning
through them. For example the BEA commitment was "we will support
existing customers for 10 years", and the nuances of what exactly
"support" means when Oracle has decided a product had no future are only
starting to get clear today. This new PR only commits for three years.
That's a miser, it would take at least that much time for Oracle to
execute a smooth kill (transitioning existing Mysql customers) if it
started today. You need to remember Oracle's bread and butter is the
Enterprise market where time scales are longer (as evidenced by the 7
years+ RHEL release lifecycle)

--
Nicolas Mailhot