packages requiring me to reboot...

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 16 16:51:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Peter Jones wrote:

> On 12/16/2009 11:43 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>> you're an experienced user? You're comfortable knowing what does and
>> what does not require a reboot? Then why are you using PK?
>>
>> Disable pk and do the updates directly via yum.
>>
>> Bam - no more requests to reboot.
>
> I get what you're saying, and it's kindof a fair point, but there's also
> some utility to having the system automatically, proactively notify you
> of updates.

And you can do that. Just don't have pk DO the update.

There are lots of ways to get notifications of updates not using PK in the
system.

And again, we're not talking about for the default everyday user.

we're talking about the experienced user who is comfortable knowing what
does and does not need a reboot.

All I'm saying is - we've not taken away any option, the experienced user
can do what they want.

-sv