packages requiring me to reboot...

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at tx.rr.com
Wed Dec 16 22:35:04 UTC 2009

There is always the circle jerk argument, well linux reboots more than
windows, no, windows abandoned the mandatory restart to end up reinstating
it.  Then, because windows restarts after update sucks, so linux doesn't
need to suck like windows.  Rebooting after updates is not a trivial matter,
if you are a expert don't use PackageKit.  Even tho it notifies you of
updates doesn't mean you need to use it, there is synaptic, yum extender,
yum, etc. none of those require you to reboot, also I don't think that
PackageKit mandates a reboot, just asks and you can cancel out of it, I
don't remember now, but I think so I know it flags the packages that cause a
restart.  Anyway nothing will be solved in this thread, for those of us that
have been burned by failing to restart, and those that think that rebooting
after updates is trivial, will continue to do the things that are required
for us to be satisfied in a update.