packages requiring me to reboot...

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at tx.rr.com
Thu Dec 17 19:55:23 UTC 2009

I am now getting a picture of why this subject is so hard to grasp, everyone
who is for fewer reboots address the issue on a task by task bases, while
those who support reboots think of it on a system bases.  Windows now
restarts each time a patch occurs, at the current time I can't think of any
patch in the last 3 months which hasn't required a reboot. Another reason is
that some of the windows operating systems are coming to their end of life
cycle, and windows is choosing to do a lot of patches in one update, but
believe me, it is startling to come in the next morning to see your computer
restarted with a message that a update was performed and you were restarted
and that occurs with all of the windows operating systems that are currently
supported.  Linux has many applications that are running and on each update
you can have as many as many as 65(the last update) task being updated each
week and how you will avoid reboots will be amazing to me.  I think then
people will complain that it takes 6 hours to update now and it use to take
30 minutes.  At the present time you have apps that run across logoff and
login, so trying to get into starting and stopping task in update situations
will be a nightmare, but if there are some ambitious people out there go at
it, there are only 5000 apps that need to be updated to solve the problem.