autofs not installed by default

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:40:44 UTC 2009

Hi Todd,

2009/12/17 Todd Volkert <tvolkert at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> The past few Fedora installs, I've specified a NIS server during the
> Anaconda installation so I don't have to create any local user accounts.
>  However, once installation is complete, I can't log into any NIS accounts
> because autofs insn't installed, causing the user accounts' home folders to
> not be mounted.  I have to sign in as root, install autofs, then all is
> well.
> My question is: shouldn't autofs be installed by default, as part of the
> base installation?

Sounds like you're running Fedora on a bunch of machines. How are you doing the installs? Are you using a simple install DVD for every machine that comes your way?

Since your environment is running a setup that's different than 95% of the end user environments, it might be more prudent to use a kickstart file with your installs. This will guarantee that autofs is present on every machine from the beginning. Depending on your environment, there are a number of different ways you can deliver your kickstart to your machines at install time.

-Yaakov