dist-git proof of concept phase 2 ready for testing

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 25 15:49:08 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> I understand the use case, I'm still not super keen on having official
> built packages come out of a branch.  Makes discovery somewhat
> difficult, and leads to problems if we have to bump+build something and
> don't realize that the real live code is actually on a branch.

At least the kernel and KDE folks want this, that's a significant proportion
of Fedora in terms of LOC. For KDE, we've done the "temp revert" hack at
times, but IMHO that really sucks, this is what branches are for. It's
basically impossible to properly maintain a large project without doing
either temp reverts (yuck!) or branches (what we had hoped the switch to git
would make easier, not harder or outright impossible – our CVS setup allows
it, perhaps accidentally, but whether this was intended or not, it is being
used in the wild and a few of us rely on this in their workflow). One branch
per distro version is not enough.

        Kevin Kofler