Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Feb 1 13:42:58 UTC 2009

Le dimanche 01 février 2009 à 14:16 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 05:12:46 +0200, Muayyad AlSadi wrote
> > the answer is rpmfusion-free
> > simply just like many free game emulator that has no free ROMs ..etc.
>
> That's the wrong way around.
> The emulators (which rpmfusion ships, but fedora does not) are code
> without content. This thread is about content without code.

Either way, it's stuff that can't be used in Fedora without some
proprietary bits we can't ship.

The code vs content old debate is totally misguided IMHO. We want more
free code. We want more free content. We want more free <insert stupid
classification>. We want to train our users to look for free <stuff>
first, and not complain about our lack of support for something else.

And the only way to get more free <stuff> (short of buying it to
re-license it) is to ship it to reward people who create it with some
public exposure. I would welcome a collection of music in the
appropriate license and the appropriate formats¹. That would enhance our
music players. That would make a collection of free art available to
free game authors. That would make average users aware there are other
possibilities than P2P MP3 copyright breaking. If we're unable to
demonstrate our users there are other options than mp3, we should not
complain about all the hassles mp3 support causes us.

The only relevant criterium is “can it be used with pure free <stuff>
Fedora ships, or does it require a bunch of proprietary bytes we don't.”

¹ To take the ebook example: an ebook in a format we can read is ok, and
we don't want the car too

--
Nicolas Mailhot