Compiler flags: upstream or Fedora ?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Feb 2 15:46:23 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Compiler flags: upstream or Fedora ?
From: Aurélien Bompard <gauret at free.fr>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 02/02/2009 09:36 AM

> OK, done : http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=330813#p330813
>
> In short : they don't mind us using our flags, but they warn us that
> it may prevent users from playing the game online.
>
> In particular, they advise against using march=i386 for this reason.
> Since we're talking about a 3D game, which would only be playable on
> rather powerful hardware, would it be OK to use the march=i686 flag ?

There's no need to explicitly use i686. The developer seems to
understand compiler flags, sans -march.

If the developers of this game are really worried about this, you might
recommend that they set some runtime checks for compile time options.
When I mean checks, I mean arithmetic checks not explicit checking for
compiler flags. Have a static variable, do some math with some stack
variables, and compare. (right?)