Why do we disable esd in libgnome?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 17:09:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:49 -0600, King InuYasha wrote:
>  But when you break something as major as libgnome, steps should be
> taken to ease the transition. Perhaps the function could be forwarded?

See below in the thread, we can't because the libgnome API exposes
esound internals.

>  I'm not really much of a programmer, but I recognize that you can't
> just break functionality in core libraries like that and expect
> everyone to fix their apps up "just like that." Fowarding the function
> (for compatibility purposes) while deprecating it would probably be
> more ideal. In any case, that's just my two cents...

It's been deprecated for a while already. See:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/references#api-platform

And from the API docs:
"
These functions also allow for the fact that no sound may be supported
on the current platform.
"

So if your application _required_ to have sound working, then it was
broken in the first place...