Moblin 2 and Fedora

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Mon Feb 2 19:35:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:13:03 -0800
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 10:10 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >
> > I doubt it. I really don't consider Moblin "fedora + changes". It
> > really isn't. It is much more a "New OS + borrow from Fedora and
> > SuSE" I suspect (I haven't done the count) that less than half the
> > packages fall under the "borrow from Fedora" umbrella.
> > Probably more if you don't count applications.
>
> This does bring up an interesting question.  What did you have to
> borrow from SuSE that the Fedora equiv (if it existed) wasn't
> suitable enough?

for example we took the entire toolchain from SuSE.

this is not a judgment about the Fedora toolchain. Just we decided on
using the SuSE one. **This not an "instead of"**.

Your question only makes sense if you have the idea that we're doing a
modified Fedora. We do not have that goal or idea. I realize there was
some press earlier that implied that, but don't believe everything the
press says.

In addition to the fedora or suse originated packages there are many
packages that aren't from either of them, and I expect this to
grow not shrink....

So I would like to really ask you and others to stop thinking of Moblin
as "Fedora with changes" and measure everything against that. I realize
it's easy to think that, and a lot of things just won't make sense in
that mindset.

--
Arjan van de Ven 	Intel Open Source Technology Centre
visit http://www.lesswatts.org