Why do we disable esd in libgnome?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 00:59:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 10:20 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:18 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> What about the possibility of rewriting gnome_sound* to use libsydney?
> >> I know it's not the most exciting work available, but that would some
> >> to be the correct long term fix. It's not like the libgnome API can go
> >> away prior to GNOME-3.0.
> >
> > It's not possible to provide an ABI or API compatible replacement,
> > because gnome_sound_* exports some esound specific APIs. For example,
> > gnome_sound_connection_get () and gnome_sound_sample_load().
> >
> > So if you're going to change the semantics, the apps will need to be
> > fixed. And if the applications need to be fixed, I don't see the
> > difference between rewriting the few lines of code to use libcanberra
> > and adapting it for a libgnome API with different semantics.
>
> Well, it seems like you could easily just keep most of the stub/noops
> for non-esd and create a canberra-specific path for
> gnome_sound_play(). That would probably cover most of the apps that
> just do a fire and forget gnome_sound_play(file). That would be API
> compatible with the non-esd libgnome.

It's already just stubs, and it would break apps that rely on
gnome_sound_connection_get () and gnome_sound_sample_load() to work. I
also don't think we're interested in keeping libgnomeui in the future.

I'd rather spend time answering questions on how to make libcanberra
work with your app rather than spending time doing a half-working
work-around in libgnome.