Compiler flags: upstream or Fedora ?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Feb 3 08:40:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 16:36 +0100, Aurélien Bompard wrote:
> > Let me get this straight, you asked upstream about this and that's what they
> > said?  Any pointers/references?
>
> OK, done : http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=330813#p330813
>
> In short : they don't mind us using our flags, but they warn us that
> it may prevent users from playing the game online.

They're depending on predictable FP for network protocol? That's so very
wrong. Sounds like they need to rethink their network protocol. (Don't
use deltas, enforce a single point of truth, maybe use fixed point
instead...)

> In particular, they advise against using march=i386 for this reason.
> Since we're talking about a 3D game, which would only be playable on
> rather powerful hardware, would it be OK to use the march=i686 flag ?

If upstream has optimized their code for -O3 rather than the default
-O2, I would carry that over. Nothing else is going to make a
significant enough difference. Fedora flags should override all else.
Getting the stack protector flags in there is a MUST.

Generally what you should do is append the Fedora flags after the
upstream. Later flags override earlier ones. You do want stuff like
-ffast-math and -std=c99 to carry over...