RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 3 19:10:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:27 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 03 February 2009 at 12:44, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> [...]
> > Ignore the power savings aspect just for a second.
> >
> > My television has a power on led below the screen. It blinks when the tv
> > is starting up and when the remote control is used, both cases have a very
> > clear and sane purpose. It does NOT blink while you're watching the tv,
> > and for a good reason too.
>
> Bad analogy. TV is non-interactive.

 My TV is connected directly to a PS3 ... analogy win!

>  So please, change the default if you will, but mention it in the
> release notes and give me a way to turn it back on.

 From the start of this thread it was obviously the intention to just
change the default (indeed the subject still implies that).
 It's not like anyone proposed to rename the option "blinking cursor of
death, only turn on if you want to kill the planet".

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"I'd just like to see a realistic approach to updates via
 packages." -- Les Mikesell