Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 22:45:19 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 04 février 2009 à 16:14 -0600, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
>> I wouldn't. IMO Fedora is about software. Free /content/ should be
>> hosted on repositories that are set up for that purpose, similar to
>> wikimedia commons, in a way that makes it accessible to /all/ distros.
>
> While I don't deny some validity to this POW, it's IMHO as obsolete as
> the majors considering they're in the music business and they should not
> have to worry about software or this internet thing.
>
> Digital creations in any form are all increasingly intertwined, and
> engaging one without the others is doomed to fail. As all the mp3
> debacle eloquently demonstrates.

I didn't say we shouldn't "engage" improved visibility of Free content,
I said we should do it in a way that makes sense. That means sensible
tools to browse content (pk does NOT cut it for visual media, even worse
with yum). And I fail to see what benefit it is to throw a music
collection into the same repository as compiled glibc.

I'd rather see even fonts in a separate repo, as text descriptions are
not very meaningful to me deciding if I want to install a particular
font or not. (Plus it would make it easier to find Free fonts...)

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be