Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 23:28:30 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Sure, take the time to make the experiment, remove fonts, remove music,
> remove themes, remove images, and see how much stuff is still working or
> useful in your nice "software only" repository.

First off, I'm not talking about "core material", I'm talking about
things that merely enhance, much of which is currently /not/ in Fedora
repos.

Second, we were talking about adding content that isn't used.

Third, what's to say we can't write tools to have dependencies on other
types of repositories? The main point is that it doesn't make sense to
use the exact same repo and infrastructure for disparate content types.
I'd rather not see Fedora becoming a multimedia repository, not only
because I don't think it's an appropriate goal, but because if we're
doing this in Fedora and not in a more general sense, we're keeping
non-Fedora users out.

"I find that kde-look.org enhances kdebase. We should package
kde-look.org (at least, all appropriately licensed content) and add it
to Fedora's repos."

Do you seriously agree with the above?

> What they usually don't is that adding more "non-software" elements (in
> addition to those we already have to because a lot of things would
> bloody not work without them), would have additionnal synergistic
> effects for everyone involved.

Again, I'm not opposed to making Free content more accessible from
Fedora. I'm opposed to doing it via inappropriate infrastructure, and
I'm opposed to doing it in a Fedora-centric manner.

> PS Fonts can be compiled and include an instruction langage. Which is
> complex enough some of its bits got patented. Looks like software to me.

Are they architecture specific? Does "A great looking gothic font" give
you any useful information if this is that perfect font you need for
your presentation/art project? Having fonts managed by yum is IMO
useless except when you already know you want a particular font (i.e.
"by name"), or for the system default fonts that are expected to always
be installed.

> PPS Text without screenshots is not too useful to describe pure software
> package for the average user either

How do you take a screenshot of a recording (audio only, mind) of the
Orlando Pops performance of Beethoven's Sixth Symphony? Of what
relevance is a sound clip to deciding between five options when I'm
searching for a picture of clover?

Different media types have different needs as far as creating an
effective repository... and the UNIX philosophy is to do one thing, and
do it well. Not try to create a Great Mishmash of Everything repo.

(Not to mention that you're suggesting to push huge quantities of data
out to mirrors... where by "huge" I mean many, many times the current
repo size.)

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be