DVD (video) and Fedora

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 11:42:06 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 02:44:12 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> King InuYasha wrote:
> > Apparently, Fedora DOES expect that... Or somehow magically play DVDs in
> > Ogg formats.
> >
> > I have two things against Ogg formats:
> > 1) Not well used outside purist communities
> > 2) Theora has horrible quality compared to other video codecs.
> >
> > I do though, like Ogg Vorbis and use it regularly.
>
> 1) Firefox, Epiphany, Opera etc will play Theora by default in their
> next major release. Native video support without the need for plugins is
>   big deal and will push more people to generate that type of content

Will push people to generate this type of content but not big media companies
- they will never use <video> tag. Why? Flash is great for interactive
advertisement - today biggest media company (and theirs e-newspaper Idnes)
switched to Flash and one reason was - it's better for our clients - we can
embed all types of advertisement to this content. But on the other side - this
Flash version is working better than previous using WMV with crippled embed
tags. So Gnash/Swfdec is the must for us now :( With patented and proprietary
codecs :(

> 2) Red Hat via Monty is working on improving the quality.
>
> http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/theora/demo.html
>
> For a lot of web content, it is already good enough. Anything more and
> we will run into patent issues again.

Great!

Jaroslav