2009-02-05 - Fedora Test Day - ext4 default fs

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Feb 5 16:04:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 09:19 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> Greetings testers!,
>
> Unless we uncover devastating issues with the transition from ext3 to
> ext4 as the default file system, Fedora 11 installed systems will be
> using ext4.  I'd like to invite testers and users to join #fedora-qa
> this Thursday, February 5, 2009.  Test efforts will focus on:
>
>  * Ext4 as default partition
>
> Come with questions and/or suggests to he posted test cases.  More
> details (including test cases) available at ...
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2009-02-05.
>
> Many thanks to Jóhann Guðmundsson for the greatly simplified (and
> clearer) the test day wiki and to Robert Williams for his work in
> designing test cases for the event.
>
> See you there,
> James
I'm in #fedora-qa right now, and I don't see anyone else in there.

Anyway, I've actually been using ext4 since F9, and I've never had a
problem.  I've actually done several of the test-cases in the course of
using ext4, with the exception of the LVM ones, and I've never had a
problem related to ext4.

I also use ext4 on two external hard drives, one is SATA while the other
is IDE, one through firewire (IDE) the other through USB (SATA), again,
no filesystem problems whatsoever.  I formatted them both through
gParted and through the command-line, and again, no problems.

I realize this isn't exactly test-case scenario, but I suppose I was
wondering if the tests might not need to be more nuanced...?

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com