New package from one source

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 21:11:42 UTC 2009

Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:

> I do not see any legal issues here. And also not found any guidelines
> about this situation when two (several) packages will include one
> source. This is a reason why I ask it question here.

Licensing was an example. Packaging guidelines covers a lot of other
cases. I think you have already been told that the multiple packages
with the same source base is not allowed and I have already indicated
why. Let's not go in circles.

> Ok, ok. But why this is likely when initial case with patch without
> intermediate steps like pseudo-forks?
> Pseudo, because I it will not be intended for any innovations except one
> patch and presupposes sync witch upstream developing of the both projects?

Separate forks are clearly permitted.  The intention with a fork is that
code bases have clearly deviated and being conveyed to users while a
patchset produces friction. I don't know whether it is likely in your
case. You will have to present an actual review request or ask FESCo.

Rahul