Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 5 23:19:22 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> 2. all your arguments apply in one form or another to a large part of
>> what you consider "legitimate software", and you've been told so many
>> times
>
> The difference is that software *needs* to be packaged for it to install
> cleanly. A font also needs it to some extent, which is why we're packaging
> them (and fonts are 1. small to medium-sized, so they don't waste resources
> that much, 2. often used by software, in fact several of the fonts now
> getting packaged are getting packaged because they used to be shipped as
> part of some software and 3. usable with the software in Fedora unlike OVM
> which this thread was originally about). (So don't worry, I'm not
> suggesting to stop packaging fonts, and in fact I don't think anybody was
> seriously suggesting that.)

Nope. As you say, there is an advantage to packaging fonts.

>> 3. core+extras, autopackage, direct CPAN use are all (mild) forms of
>> what you advocate and the project already decided not to go those ways
>
> FWIW, I'm not a fan of Matthew's suggestion of a "content repo" either. In
> fact I think it wouldn't scale any more than packaging everything in Fedora
> would. We have such a repo already, it's called the World Wide Web. :-)
> Trying to put it all on a single server or even server farm is madness.

Well, we already have some "content repos"... *-look.org, wikimedia
commons, openfonts.org :-).

I'm not convinced that larger, unified repos would be bad (note that I
mean "repo" in the general sense just to mean a big library) but that
isn't necessarily a goal, and certainly having Fedora provide the
infrastructure is not a goal. I'd be more interested in integrating with
existing repos, which I think is what you're saying also.

--
Matthew
ELANG: input is in wrong language (please use English on English lists)