Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 6 00:30:02 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Either you admit those files are a useful part of the ecosystem, and
> mirroring is a small cost, or you don't, and there's no legitimacy to
> complain there are few good or complete themes, our games artwork is
> primitive,

I object to that. kdegames-4.1.x has *beautiful* artwork :-).

We also have KHNS that makes it very easy to download and install themes
and other such material *in a distro-agnostic manner*. This benefits
everyone, not just Fedora. +1 for not being self-centered.

> our office suites do not have any templates or cliparts worth
> mention, no one creates any professional font and you have to pay
> someone like Ascender every time you need one,

Maybe we should work on tools to easily integrate with Free clipart
databases? And Free font databases?

> users do not use our
> preferred formats and pester us for closed format support,

Just out of curiosity, how do you solve the chicken-and-egg problem
here? Namely, users already have media in closed formats (or, as in my
case, are stuck with devices that only grok closed formats).

>  our audio theming is in the
> dark ages, our UI designers have no taste, etc etc

Again (and especially as one of the people that helped *code* the Oxygen
style), I object to that.

Themes that are tightly coupled with existing software are one thing
(and also tend not to be ridiculously large), especially upstream
packages along-side their software. Tossing gigabytes (or terabytes!)
worth of all sorts of multimedia over the fence "because we can" is another.

(To the list I sent you privately, you can also add that Fedora-branded
material is allowed.)

--
Matthew
ELANG: input is in wrong language (please use English on English lists)