RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Fri Feb 6 11:06:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 10:43 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:53:48 -0500, Dimi wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 15:09 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > I fail to see how a solid cursor is that much harder to find than
> > > a blinking one. Unless you're only entering solid boxes as text?
> >
> > There's a reason it's been like this in like ... forever.
>
> What's the reason?
>
> I could understand some of the opposition, if the cursor still were an
> underscore character or a narrow line, both which would be difficult to
> spot in a text editor. gEdit for example. A blinking insertion point is
> easier to spot in such a case. In typical line-based terminal emulators,
> where you cannot move the insertion point as freely as in text editors,
> the blinking cursor box is unnecessary. It's distracting even, in
> particular in terminals which don't wait for input because they are busy
> executing something.
>
> > On a busy X session (I typically have 30-40+ windows open)
> > not having a blinking cursor is crazy.
>
> The problem with your arguments is that you call something "crazy" without
> explaining *what* would be crazy about it. Only one out of your 30-40+
> windows would be active/selected and highlighted with different window
> border colours.

I've been running without a blinking cursor now for almost 24 hours, and
I feel great.  I recommend you all try it too.  I don't even realize
that there was a change, and I have had no difficulty in identifying
where the cursor is.

I do not know how many trees I've saved yet.  Being in Malaysia, there's
plenty to go around, but that's not really a good reason not to care...

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com