DVD (video) and Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 7 11:36:02 UTC 2009

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 07:14 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> King InuYasha wrote:
>>> Apparently, Fedora DOES expect that... Or somehow magically play DVDs in
>>> Ogg formats.
>>>
>>> I have two things against Ogg formats:
>>> 1) Not well used outside purist communities
>>> 2) Theora has horrible quality compared to other video codecs.
>>>
>>> I do though, like Ogg Vorbis and use it regularly.
>> 1) Firefox, Epiphany, Opera etc will play Theora by default in their
>> next major release. Native video support without the need for plugins is
>>   big deal and will push more people to generate that type of content
>>
> Now, that's something I personally don't approve off. It's precisely the
> same case as with your HW media player saying it will play only mp3's.

It isn't since Firefox is software relying on a library using non patent
encumbered codecs.

> From what I heard, firefox will play *only* theora and/or vorbis in ogg
> container, while webkit can play whatever gstreamer supports (which is
> IMHO the right thing to do). I don't mind promoting free libre open
> source codecs and formats, but this way of promoting is in my opinion
> bad. Also it bans away all other FLOSS codecs/containers like matroska,
> dirac or flac. Whither hath the choice gone?

Firefox uses liboggplay and will support whatever that library does. It
currently supports both vorbis and theora and the plan is to support dirac.

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/OggPlay

Remember that OGG is a container and doesn't restrict the choice of
codecs. Also Webkit has no native support for gstreamer codecs. it
varies by the platform.

Rahul