Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 7 14:20:44 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:34:20 +0530,
>   Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Copy the installer into the USB device and install it when you need to.
>> There are other similar choices even if you don't have administrative
>> access.
>
> Really? It sounds like a security issue if you can install drivers for
> mounting file systems without admin rights.

UAC nags you but proceeds without a password in Vista (OEM
installation). Many Windows users constantly run their system as a admin
without a password. Is that a security issue? yes but considering the
number of Linux users who are unhappy when GDM doesn't allow root user
to login, I would suspect end users don't care about security much, if
at all. Shocking, I know but more to the point, if you want say just
read access, you don't need admin rights to install explore2fs ( Was
just a binary you could run without any installation. Long time since I
did that and things might have changed now but worth considering).

If your system doesn't support USB booting, then you do need regular
media or network boot.

Rahul