What is the state of bulez4?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 14:37:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 16:00 -0200, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         2009/2/3 Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com>:
> >         > I upgraded to bluez 4.28, but not has changed.
> >

> >         You originally mentioned F10 so I am a bit confused as that
> >         bluez
> >         version is from rawhide.
> >
> >         Are you currently running a mix of rawhide and F10 packages?
> >
> >         In F10...the off- the-shelf bluetooth mouse I have also works
> >         fine and
> >         its detected via the gnome ui tools.
> >
> >         I have some custom bluetooth devices...i built myself...which
> >         I'm
> >         accessing via rfcomm with pybluez...and they work fine.
> >         hcitool and
> >         sdptool work as expected for these devices...even though I
> >         pieced them
> >         together myself.
> >

> > It is F10. I only updated bluez to 4.28 to see if I could
> > connect if I used a newer version, but nothing changed.
> >
> > I can connect the mouse on another computer, also running F10,
> > but with a different bluetooth adaptor.
> >
> > However, booting F8, on the same computer where F10 could not
> > connect, I have no problem connecting my mouse or any other device.
>
> My guess is that your mouse doesn't like being paired with the same
> adapter but different link keys (if any).

I have already deleted /var/lib/bluetooth/* , and nothing has changed.

Summarizing, I have three different bluetooth adaptors:

1) Dell laptop (Dell wireless 355 bluetooth).
Worked out of the box with F10, booting from a pendrive.

2) A desktop with a generic USB adaptor, which I could not even know the
vendor, but it works. However, I have to connect using hidd.

3) Another desktop with a different bluetooth USB adaptor. This one never
connected in F10. But it connects just fine using F8.

> Put your mouse into pairing mode and set it up using the
> bluetooth-wizard ("Set up new device" in the applet's menu).

This way never worked for me.

> Don't use hidd (which is only there for debug purposes, eg. launching
> "hidd --show").

The only way I can connect is using "sudo hidd --search".

After doing that, I can even reboot and the mouse stays connected.

In both desktops, I am using bluez 4.28.

It seems to me that some adaptors do not work in F10, maybe because of
some kernel change.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ