Fedora EOL Security Updates

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 8 18:33:23 UTC 2009

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> If RH wanted a Fedora LTS, they would step up and make the commitment to
> make it happen. A Fedora LTS would likely in some measure, cannibalize
> RHEL revenues, so why should RH enable it?

A Fedora LTS won't be binary compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
and it won't cannibalize revenue anymore than the existing free
rebuiilds do. Besides if the community wants something seriously, it has
in the past stepped up to do it and it can again. Sponsorship is not a
mandate for successful projects and we shouldn't hesitate to try again
and fail again if necessary to forge ahead. Fedora Legacy was a long
time back and the community has grown leaps and bounds from that space.
   It is one thing to elucidate to the challenges. It is entirely
another, to talk down a initiative. Let's not do that.

Rahul