Help request about hinting dev (Liberation Fonts).

Caius Chance cchance at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 14:14:08 UTC 2009

Hi Ben,

Ben Laenen さんは書きました:
> Well, I'm not from the fedora community, but I've got experience from
> the hinting in the DejaVu fonts.

Even better! :D

>> - Which free hinting tools are available other than fontforge?
>
> Tools and documentation are listed at
> http://www.dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hinting
>
> About xgridfit: I'm not really a fan of it. I think it may be usable for
> hinting completely new fonts, but I wouldn't start using it on an
> existing font.

Could I know the reason why?

> My hinting work is basically only done with the help of fontforge and
> gwaterfall.

If you are available, it would be fantastic if you briefly tell me in 10
-15 steps?

>> - Where could I find resources of hinting instructions? Precisely,
>> full specs of hinting instructions, such as parameter explanation of
>> all hinting instructions

Thomas Sailer gave me few valuable URLs just now, too:

http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/TTRefMan/RM05/Chap5.html

>> - If a CVT table has no comments on each value, do I have to do
>> reverse engineering and how should I begin?
>
> Yes, you'll have to do some reverse engineering. It takes a considerable
> amount of time, since you basically have to read the hinting of a lot
> of glyphs.
>
> Your goal is to get a table of values you may encounter in normal glyphs
> (and that for each style).
> http://www.dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Control_Value_Table
> lists it for DejaVu and many fonts have values for the same things in
> their CVT so gives an idea what to expect in Liberation.

Good to confirm that with you, so I could start the reverse engineering.

> Here we go then :-)
> When I'm online, find me at #dejavu or ##fonts on IRC if you have
> questions.

Thanks for your kind offer. :)

Best Regards,
kaio.