One source, multiple packages?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 10 09:57:29 UTC 2009

Steven Moix wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding the generation of multiple packages from one
> source, I can't find anything about that in the packaging guidelines.
>
> I'm looking at packaging Motion [1] (which will probably end up in RPM
> Fusion, but it doesn't change my problem), but it can be compiled with
> several options people may want to use, like mysql or postgresql
> support. The problem is that you can't divide it into sub-packages, at
> the end it generates one big binary file.
>
> What should I do from here? Chose the options I care about and push the
> package that way? Propose 2 different packages? Anything else?

I don't know this specific package, but the standard answer templates to
questions like this already had been contained in your questions:
- Split the package into sub-packages.
- Build several packages from the same source-code.

Another alternative would be to
- Artificially restrict your package to a subset of build
alternatives/configurations (i.e. restrict yourselves to one of the
databases)

You can find cases for all these approaches in Fedora.

Ralf