[RFC] disable OSS sound support

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 15:16:48 UTC 2009

> Warren Togami wrote:
> > 1) Keep the OSS kernel modules.
> > 2) alsa-plugins-pulseaudio ships /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss-sound,
> > thereby preventing loading of these kernel modules and interfering with
> > pulseaudio daemon.
> > 3) If the user wants to use an OSS sound application they can use padsp
> > manually.
> > 4) Native OSS comes back if the user uninstalls alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
> > which also makes it so nothing uses pulseaudio for sound output.
>
> The problem with that is that they will continue saying "PulseAudio broke my
> apps". If we just remove OSS sound support entirely, they won't have a
> reason to blame PulseAudio anymore.

I love that logic. And by love, I mean I really don't. PulseAudio is
great, but there is a use case for OSS without PA in the loop still. And
I fail to see why breaking those apps is a win - if you're that worried,
pop up a notification to alert the user that something else has grabbed
the audio device away.

Jon.