Heads up: mdadm-3.0-0.devel2.1.fc11 added to f11

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sat Feb 14 15:43:09 UTC 2009

The upgrade from mdadm 2.6.7.1 to mdadm 3.0 is not an entirely automated
process.  The mdadm 3.0 package includes new naming rules on md devices
(specifically, only md? and md_d? devices are allowed in /dev, all
non-standard named md devices must be moved to /dev/md/).  In addition,
I used upstream's udev rules file.  It has been revamped to support some
of the new features of mdadm 3.0 and is different from our previous udev
rules file.  This may cause some fallout, especially if you have
non-standard named md devices.  The anaconda team is working on some
changes to support the new features of mdadm 3.0, so there will likely
be a period of time where installs to mdadm devices aren't working.
However, a couple of the long wished for items should (hopefully)
materialize in f11, including the ability to create md raid arrays with
bitmaps, the ability to use more recent superblock versions such as 1.2,
the ability to use alternative names for md devices when creating them
in the installer, and mdadm 3.0 includes support for running Intel IMSM
based fakeraid devices via md raid as opposed to dm raid which should
likely create a more robust raid support (md raid has a number of
features that dm raid doesn't, and dm raid has some that md doesn't, but
last I knew the main benefit of dm raid over md raid was that dm raid
was closer to supporting cluster aware raid devices where as md raid
doesn't concern itself with that, and for most people this is probably a
good trade off, although for specific circumstances it might not be, dm
raid people feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at