wcstools package change

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 17:54:13 UTC 2009

Sergio Pascual wrote:
> I'm going to rename wctools subpackages libwcs and libwcs-devel to
> wcstools-libs and wcstools-devel in rawhide. The library name will
> change also to libwcstools.so
> The reason is the libray name conflicts with the libray from wcslib, a
> package I'm working on now.
>
> repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps  libwcs
> shows several packages, all belonging to me, I will rebuild them after
> the change.

This looks like a rather suspicious change to me.  Looking at the
wcstools spec file and the patches it looks like upstream is building
libwcs.a.  You've got local patches to build a dynamic libwcs.so.

Changing the library SONAME downstream (in Fedora) instead of upstream
(in wcstools or libwcs) is the wrong thing to do.  Other tools that
build against these libraries are going to be confused.  Other
distributions could choose to have different library names.  Doing this
as a Fedora-local change is not right.

Please start by asking upstream to change the name of their library
(Either wcstools or libwcs or both).  If that fails then we can contact
the other distributions (by using distributions-list at freedesktop.org) to
try to work out the best renames that we can do across distributions to
resolve this.

-Toshio