qt-4.5(rc), rawhide, and you

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Mon Feb 16 16:21:13 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 February 2009 22:41:26 Rex Dieter wrote:
> The KDE SIG has chosen to take the plunge, importing qt-4.5-rc1 into
> rawhide asap, to help sort out bugs and regressions, especially those
> when used with KDE-4.2.x.
>
> So far, we're considering this only for rawhide, targeting f11.  Once
> we're confident that qt-4.5 provides a relative bug/regression-free
> experience, then we'll entertain the idea of producing updates for
> previous fedora releases as well.

FWIW I had a problem when first using kde with the new qt. For all the kde
applications, but not kickoff (!?), the fonts were garbled (I knew it were the
fonts because that is its usual place). Worse than a catchpa. :-) Note that
other application had no problem, I have tested explicitly xterm and firefox.

I have tried first to remove any qt configuration files. It did not work.

I have then removed the .kde and .kderc (this is a test machine always running
rawhide and so it had lots of garbage and it had nothing worth to save). The
fonts now and all is working better than before. :-)

This is just a report in case there are further troubles, for moment I am
inclined to consider this an outlier. :-)

--
José Abílio