Reconnectable X - improve desktop reliability

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Feb 17 20:21:44 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 13:56 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
>
> > > It would really help Fedora reliability if the desktop could survive X
> > > crashes. It would also allow the possibility of disconnecting an X session
> > > and reconnecting it later (I know vnc and nx allow this sort of thing).
> >
> > Along the same line but perhaps more interesting than 'reconnectable' X
> > would be 'reroutable' X, where you could redirect output from a local
> > display to a projector (Star Trek: "On ViewScreen!"). This can be done
> > with proxies or double-rendering, but it would be interesting to try it
> > at the toolkit level.
>
> Indeed, shiny new features of dubious usefulness that will probably
> never be fully implemented are definitely more interesting than fixing a
> long-standing problem that affects zillions of real people.

(1) They're the same problem.

(2) "Zillions of real people" have random X server crashes where the
rest of the system stays up and their applications keep running? Huh. I
manage dozens of machines with a wide range of different X
configurations -- some of them really unusual -- and I don't experience
that. And I work on a campus with hundreds of Linux systems and it
doesn't happen there either. I must be really lucky.

Frankly, in my context, reroutable would be far more useful than
reconnectable. But see (1).

> </sarcasm>

-Chris